- Tian Shan Policy Center
- RESEARCH FELLOWS
- HOW TO APPLY
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
The American University of Central Asia’s Tian Shan Policy Center (TSPC) is pleased to invite interested scholars to conduct research in Kyrgyzstan. The Tian Shan Policy Center (TSPC) is an innovative nonprofit, public interest center focused on research, analysis, and implementation of appropriate and effective public policy in the nations and communities of Central Asia. As a policy think tank established by the American University of Central Asia, TSPC draws on the diverse expertise of its faculty and partners to carry-out research programs and projects in collaboration with international institutions, government agencies, and nongovernmental organizations. American University of Central Asia is situated in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. Kyrgyzstan is a small country of strategic importance to American, European, and Russian interests. It’s majestic mountain ranges and unique culture enrich its diverse communities, many with historic ties to the ancient Silk Road trading route. As the only democracy in Central Asia, scholars find this a key area in which to conduct research on the region and as a means for extending their networks.
Advantages and opportunities of the Program:
- Ideal surroundings: work and conduct research at one of the leading universities in Central Asia, internationally recognized as a university based on the American liberal arts tradition of free and critical inquiry.
- Networking: use our networking capacities to establish contacts with local research institutions, universities, local scholars, non-governmental organizations and governmental agencies in Kyrgyzstan.
- Good working conditions: the TSPC will provide access to Internet, computers, printing, copying, faxing, and the university library resources.
- Opportunity to share research: present research findings at the AUCA among faculty and students, and receive feedback from professionals.
- Opportunity to collaborate on projects and trainings with TSPC: depending on expertise, researchers have an opportunity to partner on policy-relevant research and training programs.
- Logistical support: the TSPC staff will help with finding a Research Assistant, if needed, arranging Kyrgyz visa, finding accommodation in Bishkek and arranging airport pick-up/drop.
The TSPC specializes in the critical fields of strategic development policy, human rights, and sustainable environment programs, and through its efforts strives to strengthen good governance as the bedrock for efforts to better the lives of the peoples of our emerging countries. The TSPC encourages interested scholars to conduct research in the following topics:
- Governance and Development
- Environment and Climate Change
- Human Rights and Rule of Law
- Migration and Social Protection
Interested scholars should be:
- PhD students, post-doctoral fellows, or research fellows affiliated to an educational or research institution willing to conduct field research in Kyrgyzstan within their own programs;
- leading or participating in a research project or program related to one of the research interests of the TSPC (See TSPC website: www.auca.kg/en/tspc);
- willing to participate in research in collaboration with TSPC staff and/or in training seminars with faculty and students, and/or submit a research paper to the TSPC for publication after completing research at the Center.
The duration of affiliation may vary from few weeks to one year. The TSPC can host up to 3 fellows at a time.
How and when to apply
- Please send a letter of interest and your latest CV to
Tian Shan Policy Center
American University of Central Asia
205 Abdumomunov Street,
Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, 720040
- Or apply by e-mail: email@example.com.
- Letter of interest should contain information on current research activities and proposed research plans, while at the TSPC. The Letter should be of not less than 1000 words
- Applications can be sent any time of the year, no deadline for application is specified.
- Please note that your application will be considered by the TSPC within 1-2 weeks.
For further information
- If you are interested in finding out more information about the TSPC, please refer to our website www.auca.kg/en/tspc/.
- If you would like to find out more about American University of Central Asia, please refer to www.auca.kg.
- For further inquires or information on your application status, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The TSPC provides the following logistical support
- assistance in finding a Research Assistant
- assistance in arranging visas
- support in finding accommodation in Bishkek
- support in arranging airport pick-up.
Unfortunately, the TSPC does not have the capacity to cover travel, accommodation, health insurance or any other related expenses. However, if the candidate’s research is aligned with a funded project at TSPC, there may be potential for further discussion of modest financial support or a stipend. This will need to be negotiated with TSPC managing directors on a case-by-case basis.