June 22, 2015
American University in Central Asia is seeking an individual to fill the position of assistant in Academic Advising Office:
Academic Advising Assistant
Department: Academic Advising office
Assist in academic advising for AUCA students.
Reports to: Academic Advising Coordinator
Responsibilities of the academic advising assistant include, but are not limited to:
• Manage filing systems
• Organize the office layout and maintaining supplies of stationery and equipment
• Control correspondences
• Establish office standards and procedures
• Maintain office equipment
• Assist in administrative management of advising office
• Ensure security and confidentially of data
• Advising web page/manual content administration
• Assist in organizing advising events
• Maintain student files and records
• Assess the student's stage of development (academic, career, and personal) and promotes student growth by determining suitable developmental tasks;
• Assist student in establishing realistic and attainable academic and career goals.
• Identify options for student to satisfy degree requirements
• Monitor academic progress of students
• Interpret and explains college and university policies and procedures;
• Participate in preparation of orientations and presents academic information to new students and parents during orientation.
• Identify options for student to satisfy specific degree requirements
• Evaluate transfer transcripts from other academic institutions for equivalencies and application to degree program.
• Gather and/or calculates necessary information such as GPA's or enrollment statistics
• Prepare various reports as requested (for example midterm grade reports).
• Assist students with registration/provides guidance in course selection in keeping with the student's interests, values and abilities.
• Interact effectively with the advisee to help him/her develop the ability to take responsibility for decision-making and for his/her learning progress.
• Assist students in choosing programs, selecting and scheduling courses, and accessing resources to support decision-making.
• Increase knowledge of the advising process and developing and enhancing the conceptual, interpersonal, and other skills important to academic advising.
• Be present during Orientation week to guide their assigned students in organizing schedules and registering for courses
• Be present and available for consultation with assigned advisees during the Add/Drop period to review each student’s course load, etc
• Meet with students who have been identified as academically struggling by the faculty according to their mid term progress
• Be aware of AUCA’s general financial aid requirements, rules and regulations
• Assist in organizing and conducting various academic advising events
• Assist in developing necessary handouts and other resources
• Participate in professional development activities
• Be tutor in Writing Center
• Gain Bachelor of Art degree (preference is given to AUCA graduates)
• Proficient spoken and written English, Russian and Kyrgyz
• Punctual, meticulous and reliable
• Strong commitment to confidentiality
• Competent with various database
• Computer skills
• Analytical skills
• Multitask skills
• Communication skills
• Team building skills
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume by June 22, 2015 to: email@example.com